Navigating journalistic spaces: British Muslim media producers
Much has been written about changes to media production brought about by a wide range of phenomena including technological developments and processes of globalisation. These have had an impact on both professional practices and media content. These trends have taken place against a background of transnational migration increasing cultural diversity across Europe. This chapter is based on the findings of a research project that aimed to explore the role of Muslims in media production in the UK in a range of media contexts. The research shows how Muslims negotiate their identities in various media environments in order to create a space in which to construct their own narratives and the challenges they face in doing so.
Keywords: Muslim media, minority media, production, journalism practice, diasporic media
- Ahmed, Sameera (2006) The media consumption of young British Muslims, Poole, Elizabeth and Richardson, John (eds) Muslims and the news media, London, I. B. Tauris pp 167-176
- Cottle, Simon (2000) Ethnic minorities and the media, Buckingham, Open University Press
- Gilewicz, Magdalena (2012) The construction of Muslim community and British Muslim identity in two British newspapers, PhD submission, University of Aberdeen
- Gillespie, Marie (1995) Television, ethnicity and cultural change, London, Routledge
- Gillespie, Marie (2002) Dynamics of diasporas: South Asian media and transnational cultural politics, Stald, Gitte and Tufte, Thomas (eds) Global encounters: Media and cultural transformations, University of Luton Press pp 151-173
- Holohan, Siobhan and Poole, Elizabeth (2012) Muslims in the European mediascape: UK country report, Institute of Strategic Dialogue.
- Miladi, Noureddine (2006) Satellite TV news and the Arab Diaspora in Britain: Comparing al-Jazeera, the BBC and CNN, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Vol. 32, No. 6 pp 947-960
- Muir, Hugh and Smith, Laura (2011) Keeping your integrity and your job: Voices from the Newsroom, Petley, Julian and Richardson, Robin (eds) Pointing the finger: Islam and Muslims in the British media, London, Oneworld pp 152-168
- Rigoni, Isabelle (2006) Islamic features in British and French Muslim media, Poole, Elizabeth and Richardson, John (eds) Muslims and the news media, London, I.B.Tauris pp 74-86
- Tsagarousianou, Roza (2007) Diasporic cultures and globalization, Germany, Shaker